The dating game is fun. You’ll meet loads of new people and try all kinds of new adventures. You can’t expect that all your dates will be good ones, but at least these disasters will give your friends a laugh. You’re more likely to meet suitable people with a respectable site like Global Personals, so if you current site is not working out, it’s worth giving give them a try.
Here are some tips to help you get the most out of online dating.
1. You need to keep at it. Just like dating the people you meet at work or at the gym, you’re not necessarily going to meet Mr or Mrs Right on the first attempt. Don’t lose heart. Online dating is popular for a reason – it works. Keep on looking, new people sign up every day. In fact, your future partner could be signing up to a great site such as Global Personals right now.
2. Play safe. You should never give out personal details online. Wait until you have met in real life before giving up your address or mobile number. Use your chosen site’s safety features by sticking with the messaging service. Once you are comfortable and happy that your chosen date is not weird in any way, then you can give up your details. But not before!
3. When meeting in the flesh make sure it’s somewhere public, and that a friend knows where you are. You’ve probably heard this many times before but it is sensible advice. Don’t isolate yourself with someone you don’t know, and certainly don’t invite them to your house.
4. Check your account regularly. People send messages all the time and many others are signing up. You don’t want to miss out because you weren’t paying attention!
5. Be flexible with your search criteria. If you put specifics like ‘brown hair, 5’ 10”, no children, and must love cats within 1 mile of your postcode, then you are really limiting your options! Besides which, dating should be about meeting many people and having a great time. Widen your search, think about the age range, and look older (or younger!) than you currently are.
6. On the flip side, be realistic with your criteria, especially your search radius. Whilst a one mile search radius won’t be enough, you won’t want to travel fifty miles each time you meet up either.
7. Don’t decide on a person simply by looking at their picture, because many attractive people do not photograph well! Put more faith in your shared opinions, sense of humour and interests. They have to be attractive to you of course, but if you are wavering on a ‘not sure if I like the look of him’ then stop wavering and meet up. Attractiveness is sometimes more about hormones, scents and the ‘wow’ factor, and you won’t get that over an internet connection.
Above all, make sure you enjoy yourself, and don’t get too fixated on finding Mr or Mrs Right. Be laid back, have fun, follow the tips above, and it will all come together in the end.