Many people are finding these days that they are pitched back into the dating game when a marriage or long term relationship has ended. It can be quite disconcerting to suddenly realise that you are single! When you feel ready to date again, then you can meet new people in many different ways. The trick is to get yourself out there, don't be shy. A smile and a friendly remark can open up new friendships and enrich your life. Just be brave! Here are some suggestions to get you going.
1. Online Dating. A decade ago, online dating was not particularly popular, viewed by the majority of people as weird and perhaps a bit desperate. Now, everyone is doing it! You probably know couples who met online. If you ask about, you’ll discover people are trying it, and may have some suggestions to help you along. There are many dating sites out there, but if you are serious about meeting someone decent, then use a high quality site such as Global Personals. Be mindful of your safety too, and when you meet with someone, make sure it’s in a busy public place.
2. Ask your friends to set you up. They know you well, and are quite likely to pick someone who suits. They may even be better at it than you are! Just make sure you choose someone sensible, not just Dave from the pub that you don’t know very well.
3. A single person should never turn down an invite. Even if you are tired and don’t fancy it – make sure you go. You never know who will be there; at the very least it will prevent you being lonely and bored at home. Exciting things happen at unexpected times!
4. If you have children, take them to activities such as soft play, or playgrounds and parks if the weather is good. Saturday morning is a great time to meet single dads! When you pick your kids up from school, chat to other parents in the queue. Just be friendly, not over-bearing and before you know it, you’ve made another friend – who in turn may set you up with a singleton that they know.
5. Trying something new always opens up new avenues. There are lots of courses and activities you can take part in. Look online for adult learning courses. If you’ve always fancied learning how to make pasta, then now is the time! If your computer skills are rusty, then sign up for classes. If your workplace runs a sports and social club, then start taking part. You might not fancy any of your colleagues, but they might know someone who will suit you.
Getting back into the dating game is all about building new connections. Be pro-active, get online, try Global Personals, or take up a hobby that interests you, just keep busy and jump in. Above all, keep smiling and you’ll soon be back into the swing of it.